Chapmans Peak Trail
Before the trail begins, the drive alone on the renowned Chapmans peak pass gets the butterflies going to prepare you for the 2–6-hour hike.
There is a clear sign showing the start of the Chapmans peak trail at the main parking, which is found by the ‘Day pass point”.
A Large garbage bin is also in the parking to be used for dog and human refuse before and after the hike. #TakePhotosLeaveOnlyFootprints. Respect our trails so it is as beautiful as you found it for the next person.
The trail starts as an immediate steep incline for 30-45 min on well-maintained steps. The path zip-zags to the first vantage point to get a taste of what to expect for the rest of the trail.
The views from start to finish are breath-taking with 360-degree angles of ocean and lush vegetation.
Once you reach the pile of boulders you will decide which route you will tackle for the day:
- The far-left trail is the longest trail – a personal favourite – that can go all the way to the Noordhoek peak.
- The straight path will lead you to an upper peak with a photo worthy view of Hout bay and Long beach but beware to plan your route carefully (we use map.me or Strava) as you can take a wrong turn which can lead you to snake breeding grounds or private property, as well as an additional hour to your hike. (This trail is also not as dog friendly as the others with larger scrambling points)
- Lastly the right trail leads you on a gradual intermediate walk for picturesque long beach views.
All the trails mentioned above do not have water and there is little shade to seek cover so start the hike early or have a short trail in the late afternoon.
Important items to pack
- Be conscious of your animals and have 2 Litres Per person/ Per Dog for every 2-hour hike.
- The Collapsible water bowl from Ruffwear is recommended to re-quench the dogs is a great essential: It packs small, its durable and can hold a decent amount of water for the larger dogs.
- High value treats for a boost of energy for you and your animals – Yap Natural sardines & the Yap! Treats Tuna Mini Yapsnax for dogs
- a Nut based bar or dried fruit for humans.
- A medical aid kit and emergency numbers
- A wind breaker, proper walking shoes, hat and suncream.
- Earth Rated Poo bags please do not stick and flick or hope that someone behind will pick up after you! LETS KEEP OUR TRAILS CLEAN AND BEAUTIFUL.
Chapmans Peak by Numbers
Need to know
- Weekdays may be best to have parking available in the small car park.
- There is no water up there – Plan your trip well and be conscious of dehydration.
- Use a good map that does not require signal to plan your trip before execution.